Toxins do all sorts of damage, contributing to inflammation, digestive problems, mitochondrial dysfunction, hormonal imbalances, low energy etc. The build up of toxins over time overburden the body and cause disease. We are exposed to toxins via foods, personal care products, home-building materials, mold, industry.
Toxins damage every aspect of our physiological function and plays a role in virtually all diseases.Dr. Joseph Pizzono, The Toxin Solution
How Do Toxins Cause Disease?
- poison enzymes causing them not to work properly and efficiently. Every function within the body depends on enzymes to produce proteins, energy, create molecules like serotonin and create cellular structures.
- replace minerals in the bone, resulting in weaker bones.
- damage your brain and organs, especially your digestive tract, liver and kidneys.
- damage DNA which increases rate of aging and degeneration. Many commonly used pesticides, phthalates, improperly detoxified estrogens and products containing benzene damage DNA.
- modify gene expression, many toxins activate or suppress our genes in undesirable ways. These changes can effect generations.
- damage cell membranes so that the membranes don’t respond properly, preventing important messages from getting through to the cell.
- interfere with hormones causing imbalances, as they can mimic, induce, inhibit and block hormones.
- Toxins actually impair your ability to detoxify and this is the worst problem of all!
How to reduce?
Creating ways to help the body remove toxins limits inflammation, and oxidative stress and improves mitochondrial health.
- No 1 is to reduce exposure: There are toxins that are easily avoidable, such as those found in processed foods and beauty products. Others such as mold may be harder if you live or work in a molding building.
- Infra-red sauna: Helps removal of toxins via the skin.
- Exercise: Our bodies are made to move, movement encourages lymph to flow and sweating. Both are necessary for the removal of waste and toxins.
- Nutrients that help with detoxification and the removal of heavy metals, endogenous waste and other nasty chemicals include NAC, ALA, chlorella, magnesium, liver herbs (dandelion, st mary’s thisle, burdock etc), fibre and green leafy vegetables.
- Fasting: During a fast the body has a chance to metabolise stored wastes and toxins so that they can be flushed out. There are many ways to approach fasting from Intermittent fasting, to full day fasting or 3 day fasting etc. If you haven’t done fasting before please seek help from a professional it order to get the most out of the fast and to stay safe.
If you would like to find out more about how toxic you may be and if these are contributing to your symptoms please book in with Denise